Technical - Effective Cleanout Drill
8 Nov 2006
8 Nov 2006
It is our intention here at USA College Rugby to make the website as informative and as educational as possible.
- On the coaches call runs through the gate and cleans-out the hit shields.
- At the same time re-align ready for second phase attack.
- 9 passes the ball from last hit shield to the attacking line.
- Defends against the attacking line.
- Once the attackers have engaged into contact against the defenders
Consider the following diagram (click on it for a larger view):
- Instead of having hit shields have players in tackle suits so players can perform a live tackle situation.
- Have the attacking line perform all their attacking options off phase play.
- Runs through the gate and engages into contact parallel to the sideline. Very important that the head is up, body position is low(bend at the knees - squat) and the players lead in with their shoulders and not their hands.
- Important for the attackers to have good running lines - run straight, pass across the body, keep good depth and communicate.
- Defenders must practice their teams defensive system e.g. Drift, rush, man-on, man-out.